|This article is about the TV series article. You may be looking for the character.|
The show was produced by Trickfilmstudio, later known as the Pingu Filmstudio and The Pygos Group in 1986-2000. HiT Entertainment and Hot Animation took over these roles in 2003.
The shows animators were Otmar Gutmann and Harold Muecke in 1983 and first aired in 1986. The show first started with several short episodes. Before, Pingu's original name would of been "Hugo" when the several short episodes were made into a short film. Then the show made a pilot movie for Swiss TV, and was later on created into the official show.
Pingu has been broadcasted on BBC 2 (1991-2012), CBBC (1991-2002) and CBeebies (2002-present) in the UK. It also aired in the US from 1996-2001 on Cartoon Network and 2005-2010 on PBS Kids Sprout
The main characters who are in the the series are.
- Pingu - Pingu is the main character in the series. He has a sister, grandfather, mother and father, and many friends aswell! He is about 5 years old. His best friend is Robby the Seal, and is often playing with him. He sometimes can be very naughty, but tends to sort things out when he realises the errors of his ways.
- Pinga - Pinga is Pingu's sister. She was introduced in the episode The New Arrival when she was born. She is only 3 years old and goes to playgroup.
- Robby the Seal - A young seal in the series. He plays with Pingu and often gives a fish to Pingu whatever he is going fishing. He was introduced in the episode Pingu Goes Fishing.
- Pingu's Mother - She always gives Pingu & Pinga a cuddle to keep them safe.
- Pingu's Father - A Post Penguin. His son Pingu likes to help him deliver the mail.
- Grandpa - Pingu and Pinga's grandfather. He is in his 60's and he always helps Pingu with his day's activities. He was first introduced in Music Lessons.
- Pingo - Pingu's second best friend. He and Pingu sometimes can argue or do silly things or play good games.
- Pingg - Pingu's third best friend and Pingo's best friend.
- Pongi - Pingu's fourth best friend, who rarely was introduced in the episode Ice Hockey. Since in the episode Pingu on the School Excursion, he has often been depicted wearing glasses.
- Pingi - Pingu's girlfriend. She was introduced in Pingu's Admirer and likes it when Pingu greets her by kissing her flipper.
- Pengy - Pingu's fifth best friend.
- Punki - A local party clown, He has a tuft on his head and often wears striped trousers.
- In the Radio Times' poll for the most favourited children's programme at the BBC in 2014, the series won second place for the best programme of the 1980's, just below "Postman Pat".
- This show featured as one of Helen Skelton's earliest TV memories in BBC1's "The TV That Made Me" with video clips from Pingu Goes Fishing.
- A clip of the Pingu intro appeared in a John Lewis advert.