Pingu is a British-Swiss stop-motion claymation children's show created by Otmar Gutmann. The main character is a penguin called Pingu, who lives in the South Pole along with his family & friends.
The show is produced by Trick Film Studios, later known as the Pingu Filmstudio in 1986-2000 and the Pygos Group, and distributed by HiT Entertainment and Hot Animation since 1997. Some other characters are Mother, Father, Pinga & Grandfather.
The shows animators were Otmar Gutmann and Harold Muecke in 1983 and first aired in 1986. The show first started with several short episodes. Before, Pingu's original name would of been "Hugo" when the several short episodes were made into a short film. Then the show made a pilot movie for Swiss TV, and was later on created into the official show. After Carlo Bonomi was fired, who did the voices for every penguin in the show, who had did the voices from season 1 - 4, the voice stars were Marcello Magni and David Sant, who voiced until the end of the show.
Pingu broadcasted on CBBC in 1991-2002 & on CBeebies in 2003-2012, Nick Jr. & Nick Jr. 2 in 2004-present, Channel 5 and BBC 2 in the UK.
Main Article: List of Characters
The main characters who are in the the series are.
- Pingu - Pingu is the main character in the series. In the beginning of the series, he was 4-years-old. Despite the actual running length of the series, Pingu was 8-years-old when the show ended. He makes an un-ordinary sound ("NUGG NUGG!") when he is angry or something else. He has a sister, grandfather, mother & father, and some friends aswell! He is about 5 years old, but usually acts younger. His best friend is Robby the Seal, and is always playing with him. He sometimes can be very naughty and sometimes he can sort things out about what he's done.
- Pinga - Pinga is Pingu's sister. She was introduced in the episode "The New Arrival", and goes "nursery/kindergarten", and is only 3 years old, though at the beginning of her appearance, no more than 2 years old.
- Robby the Seal - A young seal in the series. He is 7 years old and he plays with Pingu and always gives a fish to Pingu whatever he's going fishing and was introduced in the episode "Pingu Goes Fishing".
- Mother - Is Pingu's & Pinga's mother (judging by her name) & wife of Father. She is 23-27 years old and in most episodes, she always gives Pingu & Pinga a cuddle to keep them safe.
- Father - Is a Postman with her fiends in most episodes. He is 25-29 years old and his son Pingu likes to help him deliver the mail.
- Grandfather - Pingu and Pinga's grandfather. He is 64-68 years old and he helps Pingu play his aacordion proberly by copying him. He was introduced in "Music Lessons".
- Pingo - Pingu's second best friend. He and Pingu sometimes can argue or do silly things or play good games or play skiing or sledging.
- Pingg - Pingu's third best friend and Pingo's best friend.
- Pongi - Pingu's fourth best friend, who rarely was introduced in the episode "Ice Hockey. But, since in the episode "Pingu on the School Excursion", he wears glasses.
- Pingi - Pingu's girlfriend, introduced "Pingu's Admirer" and likes it when Pingu greets her by kissing her flipper.
- Pengy - Pingu's fifth best friend.
- Punki - Pingu's sixth best friend. He has a tuft on his head and wears striped trousers.
Main Article: Episode Guide
The show ran originally for 4 seasons from 1986 to 2000 on SF DRS. In 2000, there were 2 Pingu episodes made (one of them being "Pingu and the Doll") that never aired due to schedule problems. In 2001, they showed the 2 episodes with a Pingu marathon between commercials.
Since Pingu is a children's television series many of the episodes have been censored before they reached UK Television. Some episodes were even banned completely from being shown. For a full list, see Pingu Censorship
During 1996 and most of 1997, a Pingu movie was in production. Since the creators knew they were going to stop making episodes, they made a movie that didn't come out untill late 1997 called A Very Special Wedding.